Sunday, September 7, 2014

Chicken Po'Boy

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't normally turn to a British cook, like Nigel Slater, for a Chicken Po'Boy recipe.  However, Nigel's recipe seemed like a good jumping off point and I did happen to have all the ingredients on hand.

Nigel's recipe is as classic as ever.  Fresh baguette, strips of fried chicken, shredded lettuce and mayo.  The only personal touch I added was to add quite a bit of Lawry's seasoning to my chicken as it fried.  Lawry's seasoning is pretty much amazing on anything fried, especially chicken, and it was definitely a great addition in this recipe.   

The result was perfectly golden strips of fried chicken nestled in a hot crispy baguette with lots of shredded lettuce and mayo.  Every bite was heavenly. This sandwich is decadent, comforting, and satisfying on so many levels.

Chicken Po'Boy
Adapted from Real Fast Food
by Nigel Slater
For 2

2 small baguettes
2 chicken breasts, sliced into 3 strips each or
6 chicken tenders 
 cornmeal or flour, to coat
*Lawry's seasoning, to taste
a little canola oil for frying
mayo*
shredded lettuce

Note: A homemade remoulade would be wonderful in place of the mayo

Split the baguettes lengthwise, put the halves together, and warm them in a hot oven.  While they are heating, slice the chicken breast into six pieces and roll in the cornmeal or flour.  Alternatively, put the cornmeal or flour in a bag and shake the pieces in it.

Fry the chicken in hot shallow oil till crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes, turning once.  Remove the bread from the oven and spread all the cut sides generously with mayonnaise.  Add some shredded lettuce to the bottom half of each baguette, then pile on the fried chicken pieces.  Press down firmly and eat while still warm. 
Soups, Salads, and Sammies Every Sunday at Kahakai Kitchen
Theme: Bread Ahead!




8 comments:

  1. Kim, you know any po'boy makes me insanely happy. And your remoulade suggestion has me grinning from ear to ear.

    I'm hoping to get back on track with IHCC when the next chef starts. Working 10-12 hour days has not been played nicely with menu planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken does look amazingly crispy. I love how simple but satisfying this sandwich is. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing better than a GOOD po-boy. Withe Chicken. Or Fish. OR shrimp. This one sounds great and looks even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Would make a wonderful after school meal for the kids, which I'm sure will bring delightful smiles!
    The votes for the new chef are really close, so excited to see the winning chef!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chicken is perfectly cooked and Nigella? SWOOOOOON Sigh.....she makes my knees weak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think of po'boys when I think of Nigel Slater either, but apparently the man knows his Cajun cuisine! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! These would be a big hit with my family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.