Saturday, December 17, 2011

An Ina Garten Breakfast

This morning was cause for a celebration.  No more work for my husband.  No more school for the kids.  No more hectic running around to concerts, school parties, or even shopping malls.  A couple weeks of downtime is just what we need right now.  So, to settle in for a nice break I made Ina's Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits, as well as her Country French Omelet.  It was a little more laborious than my normal weekend breakfast, but also a little more special....and well worth it.

Ina's Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits are really fluffy and fantastic, with lots of flaky layers and great cheddar flavor, but they are really huge.  Instead of making 8 larger than life biscuits you could easily make 16 regular-sized biscuits (especially if you're serving children and other small eaters).  

Note:  The directions below indicate to make your biscuit dough with a mixer.  I've never heard of making biscuit dough in the mixer so I chose to make the dough by hand, cutting the butter in with a pastry blender, being careful not to overmix, and making sure my dough (mainly the butter) stayed cold.  I've included Ina's directions below for those who feel more comfortable with a mixer.
Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
Adapted from Back To Basics by Ina Garten
Serves 8 (or can easily be cut to serve 16)

All-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 cup cold buttermilk, shaken (I used whole milk with great results)
1 cold extra-large egg
1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar 
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Place 2 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  With the mixer on low, add the butter and mix until the butter is the size of peas.

Combine the buttermilk and egg in a small glass measuring cup and beat lightly with a fork.  With the mixer still on low, quickly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix only until moistened.  In a small bowl, mix the Cheddar with a small handful of flour and, with the mixer still on low, add the cheese to the dough.  Mix only until roughly combined.

Dump out onto a well-floured board and knead lightly about six times.  Roll the dough out to a rectangle 5 x 10 inches.  With a sharp, floured knife, cut the dough lengthwise in half and then across in quarters, making 8 rough rectangles.  Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I didn't use parchment.  I just buttered my baking pan).  Brush the tops with the egg wash, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the biscuits are cooked through.  Serve hot or warm. 


Country French Omelet
Adapted from Back to Basics by Ina Garten
Ina says this serves 2 (it could easily serve 4)

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup (1-inch-diced) unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium heat.  Add the bacon and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is browned but not crisp.  Take the bacon out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.

Place the potatoes in the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Continue to cook over medium-low heat for 8- 10 minutes or until very tender and browned, tossing occasionally to brown evenly.  Remove with a slotted spoon to the same plate with the bacon.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together with a fork.  After the potatoes are removed, pour the fat out of the pan and discard.  Add the butter, lower the heat to low, and pour the eggs into the hot pan.  Sprinkle the bacon, potatoes, and chives evenly over the top and place the pan in the oven for about 8 minutes, just until the eggs are set.  Slide onto a plate, divide in half (or fourths), and serve hot.
Here's to lots of lazy days!!

25 comments:

  1. I've never done biscuits in a mixer either...sounds counterintuitive to me. I'm glad you stuck with what you knew because the finished product looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These biscuits and omelets look absolutely sumptuous! I agree with your approach on making biscuits, best to stick with the tried and true. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand why Ina doesn't just come and live with me and cook for me all the time. This omelet is just amazing! For what it's worth, I've made her scone recipe that uses the mixer and it turns out just lovely...but sometimes it's best to stick with what you know will work. It obviously paid off...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a BEAUTIFUL breakfast. You know I love my breakie's and I'm really wishing I could have that one right now. That would make a ginormous serving...I think I'd make it four, as well. And your biscuits look amazing...those little bubble on the surface and the cheese...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great celebration feast! I love the look of the bumpy, cheesy tops on those biscuits. The omelet is beautiful with all that bacon and potatoes. Would also make a great breakfast for dinner (because I'm too spastic to attempt something like this first thing in the AM).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reasons to celebrate and with Ina, you can't go wrong. I'd have loved to join you for this weekend feast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe Knox County schools are in session right up until the 23rd? I mean, seriously.....what about all of the people traveling? Scrooges.

    Jealous of your lazy days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ina is a big fan of using either her food processor or mixer for just about everything. I agree. Biscuits should be done by hand. I made this very omelet a while ago (and blogged it). My husband loved it (what's not to love about bacon and potatoes?) I haven't made biscuits in ages, and Ina is a trusted resource. Do enjoy your downtime. I start my two week school break this Friday! I can hardy wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your lazy days! I still have to start shopping (horrible..i know but I do this every year...I hate shopping). This breakfast looks wonderful and worth the time it took to make it

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like the perfect breakfast and a great way to kick off your week. Enjoy a little downtime--you deserve it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely hearty breakfast! The Cheddar biscuits looks so good and the omelet looks absolutely yummy! This would really make my day if I'm served these yummies for breakfast!
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come over for breakfast? These look great! I'm back on an Ina kick and will have to check these out.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have loved to see this on a sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my... Who wants to be skinny when there's food like this to cook and eat? I am so trying this recipe!

    Thanks for sharing

    http://myveryownoneyearproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. just in case you were wondering i am addicted to potatoes. i am more than likely going to make this for a breakfast one day for my boyfriend and i. we both might just die happy after this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. cheap newport cigarettes online, here you go: www.cheapnewportcigarettes.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so amazing. Wish I could reach through the computer & have a bite! Thanks for sharing your great recipes.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm wondering what you mean to say that people

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so good Kim! Planning on making the omelet this weekend! Wishing you a Happy New Year!
    Tonya @ www.alagraham.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there great post. I am going to try a few of these recipes for sure. Check out my site if you can at www.thelotteryoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What it's trying to say is very important

    ReplyDelete
  22. Was interesting. So, how come I'm wondering what.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried these biscuits the other day. delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.