Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mexican Tortilla Salad with Cotija Cheese and Cilantro-Pepita Dressing

The original name for this salad was Mexican Caesar Salad and I had a few issues with that.  To begin with, Caesar salad originated in Mexico so the title was a bit redundant.  Secondly, it really doesn't resemble a Caesar Salad - does it?  In the end I decided to rename it Mexican Tortilla Salad with Cotija Cheese and Cilantro-Pepita Dressing.  My new title is a bit long, but I think it's suits the salad better, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Either way,  this is a fun and unique salad that was a big hit at our Mexican-Inspired Thanksgiving this year.  This salad paired very well with Marcela Valladolid's Jalapeno Roasted Chicken, as well as her Chile and Cheese Rice.  (Both Marcela's Jalapeno Roasted Chicken and her Chile Cheese Rice happen to be two of my favorite new recipes this year).  If you're looking for a wonderful family meal with lots of flavor and a hint of spice, this makes for a great menu.


Mexican Tortilla Salad with Cotija Cheese and Cilantro-Pepita Dressing

Adapted from Food.com
Salad:
4 corn tortillas
2 heads of Romain lettuce, cut into chunks
1/3 cup crumbled Cotija Cheese
1 roasted red pepper
1/2 cup roasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
Dressing:
1- 4oz. can chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons roasted pepitas (*see above)
1 garlic clove
dash black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon Cotija cheese
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons water 
Place all dressing ingredients except cilantro, mayo and water in a blender or food processor. blend approx 10 sec., then add cilantro, mayo and water and blend until combined .  Place in an airtight container and refrigerate, will keep for 3 days.
Cut tortillas into match sized sticks. Heat oil in saute pan over med-high; fry tortillas until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, toss in large bowl with half of the crumbled cheese, roasted peppers, pepitas and as much salad dressing as you wish. Top with the remaining cheese, roasted peppers, pepitas and fried tortilla strips.  
NOTE***Cojita is a hard and crumbly cheese, similar in texture to feta, found in some grocery stores and most mexican markets.

Notes/Results:  My Mom and I loved this salad with it's creamy and colorful dressing, chunks of Cotija cheese, and crunchy strips of tortilla strips and pepitas.  I didn't have any red peppers on hand, so I wasn't able to include the roasted red pepper strips, but I imagine that the red color of the peppers would make for a stunning red and green salad this holiday season.  This salad would be equally delicious as a main dish with added vegetables, sliced chicken or maybe even shrimp.  This is one of those salad recipes that people will remember, crave, and ask for again. 

For my friend Deb @ Kahakai Kitchen

29 comments:

  1. This is right up my alley. Lime, green chiles, roasted peppers, Mexican cheese...great combo. I will defintely try this! Thanks for sharing!

    Actually, now that I think about it I'm toying with the idea of making tamales for Christmas (we do non-trad food for Christmas). I've been trying to come up with a side that isn't the usual rice and beans. This salad would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect salad for our black bean soup supper this Sunday.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a salad girl, but I have to say, this looks totally fab!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must remember this one for when the weather improves - I love all those flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I didn't know you had a Mexican inspired T-Day. I wish I could get my family to do something like that. I would go with thai flavored.

    This salad sounds fantastic. I've been looking for some good lunch salad ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We eat Mexican food all the time. This salad looks incredible and I cant wait to try it next time its Mexican food nite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks flipping fantastic...I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Macela Valladolid. She has some fantastic recipes! I love the look of this salad, too. And Cilantro pepita dressing is definitely one I think I would like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't know caesar salad originated in mexico, you learn something new everyday! this looks delicious, i love mexican inspired salads, especially with big chunks of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just about to google cojita cheese, when I came upon your explanation. I'm cooking with feta tonight; love it's salty tang. This salad looks delicious. The pepitas are way better than croutons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cojita cheese! This salad sounds good! Love mexican:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haa, I love that it was called "mexican caesar salad". oh, redundancies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooo! oooo! me! me! I want one of these salads! I LOOOVE the sound of this, Kim. Love everything about it. The dressing does sound perfect. YUM :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving the new look you have here. I know I mentioned it before but it deserves more mention :-)
    Great looking salad...healthy, delcious...something I would like to pack for a lunch one day. Thanks SO MUCH for the Dorie Greenspan recipe for the chicken. When we were both getting over a cold this was really a perfect meal. Really hit the spot. You are a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab salad! I've been watching cooking shows online and, but I find this salad unique. I like the idea of this dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always in the mood for Mexican food--looks delicious! And the dressing sounds so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I can't wait to make this. Planning next week's meal right now and this will be lunch for sure!

    And I think you're right about the shrimp fra diavolo. The amt of red pepper wasn't really that much, but the shrimp marinate in it. You're so smart, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum, looks delicious! A great twist on the classic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That whole menu looks delicious! I printed everything!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The salad looks delicious. I would love it with a bowl of chili.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, my comment posted!!! Glitch fixed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That dressing is inspired. I definitely have to do this- a comforting salad for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The dressing sounds amazing,Kim!I have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's so cool that you had a Mexican inspired Thanksgiving Kim! There is talk in my family of doing that for Christmas...but some traditionalists in my family want to have a boring old ham! The salad is something I would definitely love!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kim, I love that you had a Mexican-inspired Thanksgiving! Your salad sounds too good to be called a salad! And I always love to see what's coming up. I'm especially excited about the mac and cheese and peanut butter bars and everything in between. Hurry up girlfriend, get cooking! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving this salad--I like any dressing or sauce that uses pepitas. ;-) Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well you're combining two of my favorite things...mexican flair and food...I would love to have a bottle of your dressing...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could probably eat that dressing with a spoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Better yet, let's make it a seizure salad! I am seizing this from you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.