Monday, November 2, 2009

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

Picture a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and then divide it into fourths. Can you imagine eating such a large portion? I was surprised to find out that the serving size for these green chile chicken enchiladas was so big. You can literally eat one-fourth of a 9 x 13 inch pan for only 456 calories!!

I would actually refer to this recipe as an enchilada bake instead of individual enchiladas. I used some rotisserie chicken for the filling. The green chile sauce is made with two roasted and peeled poblano peppers, cilantro, chicken broth and lime.

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - Cook Yourself Thin
Serves 4 huge servings at 456 calories each
2 roasted poblano peppers, peeled
1 bunch of cilantro leaves, washed, stems discarded
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 cloves garlic
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 corn tortillas
1 cup canned nonfat refried beans
3 cups of leftover roast chicken
3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese, such as Mexican-style, Monterey Jack, or Cheddar
2 scallions, thinly sliced

For the garnish: chopped fresh cilantro and 1 lime - cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray or teaspoon olive oil. (I think I forgot this step and mine turned out fine). In a food processor or blender, puree the roasted and peeled peppers, cilantro, garlic, lime zest and juice, chicken stock, salt and pepper until smooth.

Spread 1/3 cup of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Top with an overlapping layer of 6 tortillas. Spread refried beans evenly over the tortillas. Top the beans with the shredded chicken mixture, and add 1/3 of the sauce, followed by the remaining 6 tortillas. Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Cover with foil.

Bake the enchiladas until they begin to bubble on the sides, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil; sprinkle cheese and scallions on top. Continue baking until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Notes/Results: I didn't look at the serving sizes until we were ready to eat and couldn't believe how generous the serving size was. This is a great recipe if you are really hungry!! We really liked this dish and would make it again, especially considering the calorie count and the heartiness of the recipe. The book says that you can add a jalapeno to the green chile sauce for more heat. I wished I would've done that because the poblano peppers weren't very hot. In the case where you do not like spicy food, you can also use two roasted green peppers for the sauce. I loved the taste of this enchilada bake. You could really taste the flavor the the corn tortillas, and it was packed with all kinds of flavor. Definitely a must make for anyone who wants to eat healthier.

Happy Monday!!

21 comments:

  1. This look delicious - I like heat but my family does not so will go with mild peppers - but just scrumptious any way you cook it,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to buy that cookbook. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a healthy, filling, delicious looking dinner! I love enchiladas and usually go the casserole-type route.

    It's easier than filling them individually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks so yummy. I only had a stinky omelette for dinner, but i want this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man, i'm getting more and more sold on this cookbook with each post. these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with this recipe while reading through your post... I am definately going to have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not like enchiladas...those that are out there in the restaurants.
    Give this to me ..any day..I would have held a different opinion :)

    awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love enchiladas, and these look fabulous! What a wonderful combination of flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like our type of dinner! I love the combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How incredibly hearty and delicious! Love the generous portions! Enchiladas are high on my list of favorites - especially the baked kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my kind of meal! Delicious flavors and huge portions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That is a big portion for that calorie count--amazing! It looks really delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does look really tasty. I wish we got corn tortillas here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like a lot of heat and I do like a big portion, so this sounds perfect. I like the casserole/bake idea better than making individual enchiladas--after they're baked, who cares anyway? Will have to give these a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gotta love recipes that give you large portions! My family doesn't like spicy, but I think I'll make this for myself and freeze in portions for my lunch.

    Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband would love this! Always looking for leftover chicken recipes and this is going on the ToDo list for sure!

    Wonder how it would work with turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meant to add that I, too, buy used books--especially cookbooks--at Amazon. I'm waiting for my 2 Nigella as I type this. Despite high s&h, both books cost about $18. Rachel, of The Crispy Cook, has a used bookstore, too, and she's online. You can pick up some good buys there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love enchiladas and these look great. Also loving the healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am impressed with the nutritional stats on this! Who knew Tex-Mex could be so good for you?

    Especially while still being flavorful and delicious?

    This looks so great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cook Yourself Thin has a some great recipes! I've only tried 3 of them, but so far, everything has been really good :) Haven't tried this one though...I think I may have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a huge fan of Mexican cuisine! Those enchiladas look delicious, Kim!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.